Pages

Monday, February 11, 2013

The Golden Age

Remember the golden age of video games? What's interesting is that that term represents a different period in time for each person who will read this. For me, the golden age was the era of the Super Nintendo.

Already being enamored with the idea of video games, the SNES represented an evolution in the only form of media that I identified with. An evolution that spat in the face of non-believers and said "That's right, we're not going anywhere." What was remarkable about the SNES is that it took the first step in attracting a wider range of audiences. No longer were the days when video games were a novelty, only to be viewed in dingy arcades, or as an after thought, a mindless waste of time to those whose did not understand. Video games were suddenly a viable form of expression.

Of course the Atari 2600, and later the NES, helped bring gaming into the home, but the SNES was that first system I remember that people were excited about. It was the first system that non-gamers were attracted to. In fact, I have a vivid memory of the day I got a Super Nintendo. To me it was the most monumental experience of my lifetime, but even at that time I was astounded at the number of adults who would gather around my families floor model box television set and watch me play Super Mario World.

It was at this moment when I felt like the hours wiled away in front of a T.V. set were justified. The moment when I was no longer a child playing with toys, but a part of the world. With approval came a level of understanding from my parents and those others around me who couldn't, or refused to, understand why my face was always glued to the screen.

Before the release of the Super Nintendo, playing a video game had been a personal experience to me. As the years went by and Nintendo cemented its brand name in the annals of history, word had gotten out and video games were becoming a shared experience. I couldn't begin to count the number of hours spent exploring dungeons with my cousins, or sharing fighting moves with my friends. The end boss of the latest Mega Man game, and the secrets to performing fatality moves in Mortal Combat, became commonplace conversations on the school yard. Phrases such as "Let me just beat this level", and "As soon as I get to a save point." became viable rationalizations for children everywhere. Video games were no longer a hobby. They were fast becoming a way of life for an entire generation. It was what we did, and we loved doing it. It was a great time to be a gamer.

While my friends were mostly interested in the newest trends and graphical achievements, I couldn't help but be drawn back, time and time again, to the phenomenal RPG's (Role Playing Games) that the Super Nintendo had to offer. Of course today the term RPG is everywhere. Most modern games, from shooters to platformers to puzzle games, have elements reminiscent of old school RPG's. Anyone who has played Mass Effect or Assassins Creed, or even Call of Duty, have experienced these elements. However, my fascination at the time was with what is now known as the JRPG (Japanese Role Playing Game). These games focused less on graphical achievements and more on story telling and character development.

The first time I played Final Fantasy 2 (4 in Japan) was a benchmark moment in my life. Not being an RPG fan at the time, I was initially put off by the game play mechanics. I didn't understand it and had no interest in learning. Luckily, over the course of a weekend, my boredom kicked in and I decided to sit down and give this new game a chance. It wasn't long until I was hooked.

The story was captivating and I found myself actually caring about the characters. More than simply propelling a sprite through obstacles, I became a part of that digital world and the events that transpired there. I was no longer playing a game, but was embarked on a journey of revelation and self discovery. This was the first time a video game had made an emotional impact, the first game that had me invested in the outcome. It was the time when I stopped being interested in the bells and whistles of the age of graphical advancement and realized that there could be a deeper meaning to things.



Playing a JRPG is more akin to reading a novel than playing a video game. You are a narrator of sorts, telling the story of three dimensional characters in a fully realized world. You follow these characters through good times and bad, and ultimately you take something away from the experience that can stay with you throughout your life. These games cemented my interest in the fantasy genre and led me to the works of J.R.R Tolkien. Later my interests evolved and I became fascinated by the subtle character developments of John Steinbeck and Kurt Vonnegut. I realized that story telling was a means of expression and human analysis. It was this experience that first sparked my interest in writing.

Now I could talk about Final Fantasy 2 for hours, but I really just wanted to give you an idea of how a video game can influence the person one becomes. I have friends today who share similar stories, and I am sure it was the same with many gamers of my generation. The SNES brought video games into the home and it's games had a lasting impact on their audience. It helped to shape the face of modern gaming and made it relevant to a larger audience. In my opinion, this was the true beginning of the video game movement.

What was your Golden Age of video games? Was there a game that influenced you in the same way? Please leave a comment below.


No comments:

Post a Comment